As the warm summer months roll on, it's the perfect opportunity for older adults and their loved ones to make time for some fun in the sun. Spending time outdoors can help improve physical and mental health by reducing the risk of chronic illness, boosting immune function, enhancing positive experiences and reducing anxiety and depression.
Whether you’re an older adult looking for fun ways to spend time with others or treat yourself with self-care time, these 10 summer activity ideas are great ways to get outside and create lasting memories.
Make new memories with the whole family
Bonding with children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren can spark some of the most precious memories and traditions.
Consider family-friendly summer fun like:
- Visiting nearby parks together to play games, cool off at a pool or enjoy a BBQ
- Organizing a backyard “camping” trip that provides the comfort and safety of home but the adventure of a starry night
- Going to an outdoor or drive-in movie to share the nostalgia (and the popcorn)
Socialize at your own pace through shared interests
If you want to expand your social connections, summertime is the perfect season to pursue classes or clubs that pique your interest.
Consider social activities like:
- Dance, tai-chi or Zumba classes where you can drop in solo or cut a rug with a new friend
- Visiting your local botanical garden where you can admire plant life and perhaps sign up for classes or workshops that interest you
- Dining al fresco at an exciting restaurant patio or with a picnic basket full of seasonal fare
Enjoy a summer full of self-care
Embrace the joys of summer by engaging in outdoor sports and activities that suit your preferences and fitness level.
Consider solo summer activities like:
- Outdoor swimming or water aerobics to help improve cardiovascular health — check your local community centre’s pool schedule
- Bike rides to explore your city from a different point of view, made even more convenient with bike shares like Mobi or Bixi
- Birdwatching or walking trails that connect you with nature
- Becoming a regular at your local farmer’s market so you can shop local and enjoy seasonal recipes with farm-fresh ingredients
Summer offers endless opportunities for older adults to cultivate hobbies and interests independently or with friends and family. Whether at home or on the go, TELUS LivingWell CompanionTM medical alert devices offer older adults the added confidence of accessing help just a button push away.